FLORENCE — Amado and Indy Cano have dedicated countless hours of hard work toward renovating their home.
On Thursday afternoon, the couple stood in front of the home and watched helplessly as flames and smoke engulfed the 1605 Marlborough Blvd. residence.
Authorities said the fire appears to have started in the backyard where wood had been burning in a clay fire pit. The fire apparently traveled to the back deck and crawled into the house.
“They had just completely remodeled the house,” said Amado Cano’s brother, Alfredo Cano.
Indy Cano cried while receiving hugs from loved ones and watching Florence firefighters battle the blaze at the home where she and her husband have lived for the past four years. She tried to keep things into perspective and was thankful that nobody was seriously injured.
“We’re still here,” she said. “That’s what counts.”
Amado Cano received minor burns to his face and arm when he tried to put out the fire, authorities said.
Florence fire inspector Lt. Jeff Bevis said Amado Cano had been in the backyard working on cabinets on the deck. He built a fire in the pit for warmth.
Amado Cano apparently left the yard for a short time and when he returned he found the deck in flames.
“He tried to put it out with a hose but couldn’t,” Bevis said. “He moved a propane tank out of the way, which was very quick thinking.”
The fire remains under investigation, Bevis said.
Breezy conditions could have contributed to the fire being pushed toward the deck and house, officials said.
After the fire was brought under control, family members looked through items firefighters were able to salvage and bring to the front yard, while smoke continued to seep from windows. Significant flame, smoke and heat damage occurred throughout the residence, officials said. Authorities received the call about 2:35 p.m. Florence Fire and Rescue responded with three engines, a ladder truck and heavy-rescue truck.
Bernie Delinski can be reached at 256-740-5739 or bernie.delinski@TimesDaily.com.