Academic Achievers include achievements earned in school-sponsored activities that are based on grades and academic performances. Information comes from universities, colleges and local schools. It is published Sundays as space permits. Email myra.arnold@TimesDaily.com.
• Several local University of Alabama students are receiving hands-on, innovative and advanced educational experiences with dozens of companies and organizations across the United States through UA's Cooperative Education Program for the summer.
Among the students participating are:
Killen: Kyle Holden will be working at Bernhard; Race Correll will be working at Georgia Pacific –Brewton; Madison Romineswill be working at Jordan & Skala Engineers, Inc..
• Kara Ann Nix, of Muscle Shoals, has been awarded a NIOSH Industrial Hygiene Scholarship by the University of North Alabama. Nix, the valedictorian of her graduating class at Muscle Shoals High School, was also selected as the 2017 Shoals Scholar Dollar Student of the Year and was a member of the National Honor Society, National Technical Honor Society, president of the Key Club, an MSHS Ambassador, and a teen volunteer at Shoals Hospital. Nix will be a junior at UNA, and she is the daughter of Angela and Craig Nix.
• Mary Dethero, of Florence, graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Astrophysics degree with honors from Lehigh University in the spring.
• Two local students have been named to the dean’s list at Campbellsville University in Campbellsville, Kentucky.
Tuscumbia: Elizabeth Grace Jaco
Leoma, Tennessee: Denise Dee Moses
• The State University of New York at Potsdam recently named Tra'Anthony Anderson, of Phil Campbell, to the dean's list.
• Nicholas Bishop, of Florence, was named to the Emory & Henry College, Emory, Virginia, dean's list for the spring.
• Chelsey Staggs, of Ethridge, Tennessee, has been named to the dean's list at Volunteer State Community College in Gallatin, Tennessee, for the spring semester.
•Sarah R. Trotti, of Florence, was named to the dean’s list for the spring semester at the University of Montevallo.
• Several local students graduated from Troy University after the spring semester and Term 4.
Leighton: Brian Davenport
Muscle Shoals: Elizabeth Dobbs, Michaella Kroeger
Tuscumbia: Patricia Dozier
Florence: Amberly Evans, Caleb McDonald, Bailey Miller, Amy Vernon, Thomas Moseley,
Moulton: Clayton Graham
Rogersville: Alexis Haraway
Killen: Brittany Michael, Catherine Potts
• The following local students graduated at the University of Mississippi in the spring.
Muscle Shoals: McKenzie Rutherford, Mackenzie Rue, Alexandra Spencer
Russellville: Ashley Irons
Moulton: Emma Gaddy
Florence: Levi Bevis, Molly Cole
• John Yordy, of Muscle Shoals, was selected as a member of the incoming class in the Randall Research Scholars Program in the University of Alabama Honors College.
• Essity, a global hygiene and health company, has awarded a total of $19,000 in scholarships to Barton area students, as part of its annual scholarship program for children of employees. Those recipients include:
Barton: Denver Benjamin, $1,000 scholarship for Troy University; Jaime Berry, $1,000 scholarship for Mississippi State University; Audra Dyar, $1,000 scholarship for University of North Alabama; Jeni Graves, $2,500 scholarship for University of Alabama at Birmingham; Madison McGuire, $2,500 scholarship for University of North Alabama; Angel Joy Napalit, $1,000 scholarship for Troy University; Skye Opsteen, $1,000 scholarship for University of Alabama at Birmingham; Marlie Riddell, $1,000 scholarship for Mississippi State University; Jackson Smith, $1,000 scholarship for Auburn University; Wesley Smith, $2,500 scholarship for Auburn University; Bradley Thigpen, $2,500 scholarship for University of Alabama at Birmingham; Lindsay Wilkins, $1,000 scholarship for University of Alabama at Birmingham; Olivia Wilson, $1,000 scholarship for Auburn University.