Different sections of the Community Planner rotate every Sunday. Email items to leah.daniels@TimesDaily.com. Items will not be published without a telephone number, email address or web address. Franchised activities, taught on a professional basis, will not be listed.
• Alabama Society of Professional Engineers, Muscle Shoals chapter, third Thursday, September-May. Don Lokey, 256-710-9664.
• Florence Toastmasters Club, 5:45 p.m. first and third Monday, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library, 350 N. Wood Ave., Florence. Earnestine Doubek, 256-415-7676
• Medical Group Management Association of the Shoals, 11:30 a.m., fourth Thursday, Marriott Shoals Conference Center, 10 Hightower Place, Florence. Open to people of medical, surgical and scientific practices. Debbie Cardwell, 256-764-1858
• National Management Association, TVA Muscle Shoals Chapter, third Thursday, Marriott Shoals Conference Center, 10 Hightower Place, Florence, 5:30 p.m. social, 6 p.m. dinner/program. Myra Soroszak, 256-386-2387
• Northwest Alabama Body Therapists Professionals, noon, first Tuesday. Speakers invited. Rhonda Hofmann, 256-394-8301
• Sheffield Business and Professional Association, 5:15 p.m., second Tuesday, Park Place, Sheffield. Tim Leigh, 256-383-6711
• Shoals Area Central Labor Union, 7 p.m., Tuesday, Iron Workers Hall, 506 N. Nashville Ave., Sheffield. Gene Tackett, 256-383-2758
• Shoals Professional and Business Club, noon, Tuesdays for lunch, Shoals Home Builders Association, 1951 Veterans Drive, Florence. Glenn Stephenson, 256-710-7230
• Shoals Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, quarterly, Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind, Shoals Regional Center, 512 N. Main St., Tuscumbia. Dates and times, 256-383-3503
• Colbert County Republican Executive Committee, 6 p.m., fourth Monday, Donna and Friends Restaurant, 1325 Avalon Ave., Muscle Shoals. Fred Joly, 256-710-1440
• Lauderdale Chapter of Alabama Democratic Club, 1 p.m., second Saturday, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library, 350 N. Wood Ave., Florence. 256-762-0209
• Lauderdale County Republican executive committee, 7 p.m., fourth Thursday. Meeting locations: Josh Dodd, 256-366-2878.
• Republican Women of the Shoals, noon, first Tuesday. For meeting place or speaker, Debbie Black, 256-627-3604.
• Shoals Area Citizens for Life, 7:30 p.m., last Tuesday. 256-381-3528 after 5 p.m.
• Shoals Democrats gathering, 6:30 p.m. third Monday, IBEW Local Union 558, 1803 E. 17th St., Sheffield, serving Colbert and Lauderdale counties. Meet and greet/snacks, 6 p.m. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Women in Lifetime Leadership encourages women’s participation in public policy-making. Eve Mauldin, 256-764-8878
• Alabama Charter Chapter, United Daughters of the War of 1812, 11 a.m. quarterly. 256-764-7040
• Central Civitan Club, 6:30 p.m., second and fourth Thursdays. Betty McCormick, 256-764-2885.
• East Lauderdale County Chapter of Rotary International, noon, Thursdays. Danny Cook, 256-247-6080
• Florence Civitan Club, noon, Tuesdays, First Baptist Church, Tombigbee Street, Florence. Lunch and program.
• Florence Exchange Club, noon, Tuesdays, Marriott Shoals Conference Center, 10 Hightower Place, Florence, for lunch and program. James Barnett, 256-443-3836
• Florence Kiwanis Club, noon, Fridays, Marriott Shoals Conference Center, 10 Hightower Place, Florence. 336-287-4958256-710-7059
• Florence Lions Club, noon, first and third Mondays, ECM East conference room, 2111 Cloyd Blvd., Florence. 256-757-1308
• Florence Rotary Club, noon, Mondays, Marriott Shoals Conference Center, 10 Hightower Place, Florence. Lunch: 11:30 a.m.
• LaGrange Community Sunshine Club sends cards and letters to elderly and others. Sherri Hall, 256-446-9351, or Lela Hall, 256-446-8757
• Muscle Shoals Civitan Club, noon, first and third Thursdays, Cypress Lakes Golf and Country Club, 1311 E. Sixth St., Muscle Shoals. 256-383-3503
• Muscle Shoals Kiwanis Club, noon, Thursdays, Cypress Lakes Country Club, 1311 E. Sixth St., Muscle Shoals. Nicole Parker, 256-386-0600
• Sheffield Kiwanis Club, noon, Wednesdays, Park Place, 500 N. Montgomery Ave., Sheffield. 256-740-95990 or email@example.com
• Town Creek Lions Club, 6 p.m. second and fourth Mondays, Town Creek Community Center, Main Street, Town Creek. Billy Crisler, 256-685-2469
• Tuscumbia Kiwanis Club, noon Tuesdays, Helen Keller Public Library annex, 511 N. Main St., Tuscumbia. Lunch and speaker. Joel Parris, 256-577-6968
• Central Community Center business meeting, 286 Lauderdale 277, Florence, 6:30 p.m., first Tuesday. To reserve center, call 256-760-9005 or 256-764-2885. Breakfast, third Saturday. 256-764-1090
• Cloverdale Community Center, 17420 Lauderdale 8, Florence: country breakfast, 6:30-9 a.m., second Saturday. Center available for reservations; fee charged. 256-284-0404
• Lexington Senior Center, 100 Maguire Lane, Lexington, breakfast, 6:30-9 a.m., fourth Saturday; except November and December. 256-229-8810
• Underwood-Petersville Community Center, 840 Lauderdale 7, Florence: breakfast, 6-9 a.m., first Saturday; and covered-dish lunch, 11 a.m., second Friday.
• Zip City Community Center, 11:30 a.m. third Thursday, covered-dish lunch and program. Breakfast, 6:30-9 a.m., fourth Saturday.
• Florence Park and Recreation Department centers may be reserved by calling: Royal, 421 N. Royal Ave., 256-760-6425; Senior Center, 415 Fairground Road, 256-760-6420; or Handy Center, 1105 Beale St., 256-760-6435.
• North Alabama Dance Club offers dances and ballroom dance lessons monthly. 256-767-1440, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Russellville Parks and Recreation Department offers classes in aerobics, step aerobics, voice, piano, karate, gymnastics, dance for children and adults, tumbling for cheerleaders and tennis, at center, 201 Ash Ave., Russellville. Gym open for walking, 6-9 a.m. Monday-Friday, and 8 a.m. Saturday at no charge. 256-332-8770.
• Shoals Chapter, Huntsville Ski Club, third Thursday. Members also hike, bike, raft and have cookouts. Kris Seabol, 256-764-4469, or Jennifer and Don Aston, 256-767-6777
• Yakers and Dancers, meet at Wildwood Park, third Saturday, May-October. Kayakers and square dancers come together with kayak/canoe. Picnic follows. 256-760-4620
• Aerobic classes sponsored by Florence Parks and Recreation Department, Royal Avenue Recreation Center, 421 N. Royal Ave., Florence. Schedule available at center. 256-760-6425
• Coalition of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders board, 5:30 p.m., third Tuesdays, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library conference room, 350 N. Wood Ave., Florence. Open to public. Speakers and materials for companies, churches and civic groups, and a free newsletter for caregivers of people with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases available. 256-766-5726
• Co-ed aerobics, sponsored by Sheffield Parks and Recreation Department, 1001 E. 17th St., Sheffield, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Free baby-sitting. 256-386-5615
• Free and confidential HIV testing available. 256-764-0492
• Home health blood pressure checks, 2 p.m., third Monday, Merrill Gardens, 3275 Lauderdale 47, Florence. 256-740-6999
• Free blood pressure screenings, sponsored by Heritage Manor Assisted Living and Mid South Home Health, 2-3 p.m., first Monday, 310 W. Mobile St., Florence. 256-767-7676
• LifeSouth Community Blood Center, 307 Veterans Drive, Florence, open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays; 1-5 p.m. Sundays. 256-765-7038
• UPDATE IN AUG.Lifewise, ECM chapter, 11:30 a.m., fourth Tuesday, Florence-Lauderdale Coliseum, Veterans Drive, Florence. Lunch, 11:30 a.m.; program, 12:15 p.m. Aerobics, 9:45 a.m., Mondays and Wednesdays and Fridays, Broadway Recreation Center, Florence. Office at ECM East Professional Building, Suite 5. 256-768-8056
• Northwest Alabama Community Network Group for anyone concerned with HIV/AIDS, 11 a.m. to noon, second Wednesday, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library, 350 N. Wood Ave., Florence. 256-764-7453 or cpgnwa.org.
• Rape Response prevention programs available to organizations, businesses and schools. Topics range from healthy relationships and Internet safety to sexual harassment and sexual assault. 256-765-4380
• Safeplace Inc. prevention program sponsors presentations such as “Child Abuse Detection, Reporting and Prevention” and “Family Violence” to civic groups, organizations and businesses. 256-767-3076. The crisis line is staffed with personnel trained in assisting abused women and their children. 256-767-6210, 24 hours
• Senior citizen exercise classes, sponsored by Florence Parks and Recreation Department, 9:30-10:30 a.m., Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, Handy Recreation Center, 1105 Beale St., Florence. Free. 256-760-6435
• Shoals Vegetarian Fellowship, monthly potluck, 5:30-7 p.m., third Tuesday, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library, 350 N. Wood Ave., Florence. Speaker/discussion. Call or email for acceptable potluck ingredients. 256-762-8506, shoalsveg.com or email@example.com
• Shoals Women’s Clinic offers free and confidential pregnancy and STD testing and post-abortive counseling. Details/appointments: 256-760-0640.
• The Look Good... Feel Better program, free nonmedical program to help women undergoing cancer treatment deal with skin and hair changes, 1-3 p.m., third Monday, Helen Keller Hospital, 1300 S. Montgomery Ave., Sheffield. Registration required. 256-386-4154 or 256-767-0825
• The Look Good... Feel Better program, sponsored by American Red Cross for women facing cancer-related side effects of treatment, first Mondays (except holidays), Bethesda Cancer Center, 208 S. Marengo St., Florence. Free. Registration: 800-395-5665.
• Yoga/pilates classes, sponsored by Florence Parks and Recreation Department, 8:30 a.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays, Royal Avenue Recreation Center, 421 N. Royal Ave., Florence. 256-760-6425