Different sections of the Community Planner rotate every Sunday. Email items to leah.daniels@TimesDaily.com. Items will not be published without a telephone number, email address or web address. Franchised activities, taught on a professional basis, will not be listed.
• Open Grief Support, sponsored by Hospice of the Shoals, 11 a.m. to noon, second Tuesday, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library reading room, second floor, 350 N. Wood Ave., Florence. 256-767-6699
• Parent support group, 7:30-8:30 p.m., Thursdays, Bradford Health Services, 1626-A Florence Blvd., Florence. 256-760-0200
• PFLAG Shoals, a support group for parents, families and friends of lesbians and gays. 256-483-2233 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, 6 p.m., first and third Thursday, 5255 Lauderdale 335 (Houstontown Road), Killen. Licensed counselor. Working with horses. 256-577-8060
• Fellowship Ministry Support Group, 6 p.m., first and third Friday, Sheffield Public Library, 316 N. Montgomery Ave., Sheffield. Group offers support to the families of those who are incarcerated. 256-386-5633
• Rape Response Crisis Line is staffed 24 hours by trained volunteers. Support groups available. 256-767-1100
• Resolve Through Sharing, 7 p.m., second Monday, Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital private dining room, 205 Marengo St., Florence. For parents experiencing miscarriage, stillbirth or newborn death. 256-768-9320
• Safeplace Inc. offers a free weekly support group for women and children experiencing abuse by a partner or family member. 256-767-3076
• Shoals HIV support group, 6 p.m., second Tuesday. April, 256-764-0492
• Shoals Area Parkinson support group, 2 p.m., third Friday, Merrill Gardens, activity room, 3275 Lauderdale 47, Florence. Paula Slusher, 256-740-6999, Sandy Howard, 256-381-9247
• Shoals Autism support group, 7 p.m., second Tuesday, Wellcare Center at Helen Keller Hospital, 1300 S. Montgomery Ave., Sheffield. Sheffield. 256-766-6277
• Shoals Chronic Pain support group, 5:30-7 p.m. second and fourth Thursday, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library, conference room, 350 N. Wood Ave., Florence. Sponsored by American Chronic Pain Association. 256-275-3321 or groups.yahoo.com/group/Shoalscpsg
• Shoals Kidney Support Group, first Thursday. To educate and support kidney disease patients, family and friends. No charge. For locations: Marty Rich, 256-766-7577
• Shoals Support Group of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) offers free support and information. Jack Powell, 256-383-3093 days, 256-767-3530 nights
• Stroke support group, sponsored by Northwest Alabama Reading Aides in conjunction with the American Stroke Association, noon second and fourth Tuesdays, NARA office, 501 N. Seminary St., Florence. 256-766-5709
• Survivors in Action, a support group for teens and young adult cancer survivors, ages 13-28, is looking for members. Kevin Poston, 205-993-5205 or email email@example.com.
• Special Needs Information for Parents, support group for parents of special needs students, 6-7:30 p.m. first Tuesday, Muscle Shoals Board of Education, Wilson Dam Highway, Muscle Shoals. Debbie Bradford, 256-389-2698, or Lisa Highfield, 256-389-2696
• Mended Hearts of the Shoals, Chapter 307, a support group for people after having cardiac surgery and caregivers, 10 a.m., third Tuesday, January through May and July through October, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library conference room, 350 N. Wood Ave., Florence. Sue Gordon, 256-627-1911, or Joy Herring, 256-767-6232, 256-412-2607 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Prodigal, a support group for parents who are alienated from their adult children, who are unable to set limits on their children but continue to provide funds and other resources that enable the children to continue unacceptable behavior, 7 p.m. Thursdays, Woodmont Baptist Church, 2001 Darby Drive, Florence. Paul McCrite, 256-335-9782
• Wheelchair and Special Populations support group, 7 p.m., fourth Tuesday, Russellville Community Center. 205-921-9979
• Women’s Grief support group, sponsored by Hospice of the Shoals, 1-2 p.m., second Tuesday, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library, 350 N. Wood Ave., Florence. 256-767-6699
• Overeaters Anonymous, 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays, First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Florence. 256-394-7639
• Overeaters Anonymous, 6 p.m. Thursdays, 505 N. Seminary St., back entrance, Florence. No membership dues or fees. 256-335-2514
• TOPS meetings — AL 227, 5 p.m. Mondays, Lexington Bank basement; AL 213, 4:30-7 p.m. Mondays, Senior Citizens Center, 415 Fairground Road, Florence; AL 188, Leighton, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, LaGrange Fire Hall; AL 138, 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays, First Southern Baptist Church, Muscle Shoals; AL 186, 9:30 a.m. Thursdays, 256-757-3544 or 256-757-2807; AL 424, 9 a.m. Mondays, Central Fire Department; AL 173, 6-7 p.m. Thursdays, Hook Street Baptist Church, Tuscumbia, 256-383-6245; AL 205, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Little People’s Nursery School, Alabama Street, Killen, 256-757-2742; AL 434 Anderson, 9 a.m. Fridays, Anderson Town Hall, 256-247-1867 or 256-247-0737; AL 155, 5:30 p.m. Mondays, Russellville Community Education Center, 523A Gandy St., Russellville, 256-446-5962, 256-332-2939 or 256-332-3398; No. 450, Waterloo, 5:30 p.m. Mondays, Stewartsville Church of Christ; AL 555 Greenhill, 9 a.m. Thursdays, 14583 Lauderdale 47, Greenhill, 256-757-9651.
• Central Community Center RSVP lunch 11:30 a.m., fourth Monday. Bring covered dish. 256-764-2885
• Cloverdale RSVP, 11:30 a.m., fourth Tuesday, Cloverdale Community Center, for covered-dish lunch. 256-284-0404
• Wellcare Center, next to Helen Keller Hospital, 1300 S. Montgomery Ave., Sheffield, offers aerobics classes for seniors. 256-386-4747
• Lifewise, NAMC chapter, 11:30 a.m., fourth Tuesday, ECM East Community Learning Center, 2115 Cloyd Blvd., Florence. Lunch, 11:30 a.m.; program, 12:15 p.m. Aerobics, 9:45 a.m., Mondays and Wednesdays and Fridays, Broadway Recreation Center, Florence. Office at ECM East Professional Building, Suite 5. 256-768-8056
• Zip City Community Center, 10511 Lauderdale 17, Florence, 11:30 a.m. third Thursday, covered-dish lunch. Breakfast, 6:30-9 a.m., fourth Saturday except December.
• The CLUB, Florence Senior Center, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m., 450 Country Club Drive, Florence, 256-760-5620.
• American Association of Retired Persons, Florence-Lauderdale Chapter 273, 11 a.m., third Thursday, Royal Avenue Recreation Center, 421 N. Royal Ave., Florence. Covered-dish dinner. 256-760-6425
• Florence-Lauderdale County Education Retirees Association, for participants in the Alabama Public Education Employees Retirement System residing in Lauderdale County, 11:30 a.m., third Wednesday of odd-number months, Lauderdale County Board of Education Annex, 355 Lauderdale 61, Florence. 256-483-8222
• TVA Retirees Association, 10 a.m. second Wednesday in March, September and December, TVA Community Credit Union, 1405 Wilson Dam Road, Muscle Shoals, and 9:30 a.m. third Tuesday in June, Florence-Lauderdale Coliseum, 702 Veterans Drive, Florence. 256-383-1701
• UAW-Ford Retiree Chapter, business meeting, 9 a.m., first Wednesday, except January, July and September, Northwest-Shoals Community College, Hospitality House, 800 George Wallace Blvd., Muscle Shoals. Fellowship supper, 6 p.m., preceding Tuesday of business meeting, NW-SCC. Gerald Hester, 256-757-3852
• Hi! Neighbors of the Shoals, an organization for women that extends a welcome to newcomers and not-so-new women in Shoals, 10 a.m. first Tuesday for coffee, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library, 350 N. Wood Ave., Florence. Laura Engdahl, 256-965-9023
• Alabama Society of Professional Engineers, Muscle Shoals chapter, third Thursday, September-May. Don Lokey, 256-710-9664.
• Florence Toastmasters Club, 5:45 p.m. first and third Monday, Florence-Lauderdale Public Library, 350 N. Wood Ave., Florence. Earnestine Doubek, 256-415-7676
• Medical Group Management Association of the Shoals, 11:30 a.m., fourth Thursday, Marriott Shoals Conference Center, 10 Hightower Place, Florence. Open to people of medical, surgical and scientific practices. Debbie Cardwell, 256-764-1858
• National Management Association, TVA Muscle Shoals Chapter, third Thursday, Marriott Shoals Conference Center, 10 Hightower Place, Florence, 5:30 p.m. social, 6 p.m. dinner/program. Myra Soroszak, 256-386-2387
• Northwest Alabama Body Therapists Professionals, noon, first Tuesday. Speakers invited. Rhonda Hofmann, 256-394-8301
• Sheffield Business and Professional Association, 5:15 p.m., second Tuesday, Park Place, Sheffield. Tim Leigh, 256-383-6711
• Shoals Area Central Labor Union, 7 p.m., Tuesday, Iron Workers Hall, 506 N. Nashville Ave., Sheffield. Gene Tackett, 256-383-2758
• Shoals Professional and Business Club, noon, Tuesdays for lunch, Shoals Home Builders Association, 1951 Veterans Drive, Florence. Glenn Stephenson, 256-710-7230
• Shoals Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, quarterly, Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind, Shoals Regional Center, 512 N. Main St., Tuscumbia. Dates and times, 256-383-3503