TUSCUMBIA — A former member of Kyle Adcock’s youth group at Woodward Avenue Baptist Church told him Friday morning he took her innocence from her when she was 14.

The victim, now 20, told Adcock: “You no longer have control over me.”

Moments later, Colbert County Circuit Judge Hal Hughston Jr., with Adcock and his attorney standing in front of him, accepted Adcock’s plea of guilty for the charge of second-degree sodomy.

Hughston then sentenced Adcock to 10 years, split with 15 months to serve in prison. The remainder of his sentenced was suspended for 24 months.

He also must register as a sex offender, and have no contact with the victim or her family.

Colbert County District Attorney Bryce Graham Jr. said the victim and her family agreed to the plea agreement. He said two key issues were considered in making the agreement — the victim did not have to testify, and Adcock had to register as a sex offender.

“(The victim) has already been through enough, and this would have been a horrendous and embarrassing experience for her,” Graham said. “She was prepared to go forward with the trial if we had not reached an agreement.

“We wanted to spare her if there was any way possible. But we were not going to agree to anything unless he had to register as a sex offender.”

The trial was schedule to start Monday.

Adcock was arrested in August 2014. At the time of his arrest, he had moved to Frisco, Texas.

He was indicted in January on 12 counts of first-degree rape, nine counts of second-degree sodomy and eight counts of second-degree rape.

Retired Muscle Shoals police Detective Seig Mueller, the lead investigator in the case, said according to the allegations, the incidents took place at the church and at Adcock’s home, as well as at a third location.

Court officials said as a part of the plea agreement, all other counts of the indictment, with exception of one second-degree sodomy charge, were dismissed. According to the grand jury indictment, Adcock “engaged in deviate sexual intercourse” with the victim.

Graham said the victim’s family is pleased with the decision and the fact she did not have to testify.

“We put her well-being first,” Graham said. “This chapter in her life is now over. She can put all this to rest and move on with her life.”

Tom Smith can be reached at 256-740-5757 or tom.smith@TimesDaily.com. Follow on Twitter @TD_TomSmith.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.