Black mold is a dangerous fungus which can produce toxic air which is extremely harmful to humans. Black mold may cause chronic coughing and sneezing, irritation to the eyes or mucus membranes of the nose and throat, rashes, chronic fatigue, persistent headaches, nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the nose and lungs.

On Aug. 8, 2018, the Muscle Shoals Post Office was closed due to extensive black mold contamination.

Once a building is infested with black mold, it is almost impossible to totally eradicate every trace of this deadly fungus, and, in time, if exposed to moisture can actually regenerate, mushrooming from a small amount of spores into a huge lethal black mass.

In truth, the only sure-fire solution to black mold inside of a building is to demolish the building. I appeal to those in charge to tear down this building at once.

Do it for the citizens of Muscle Shoals, before they, as customers, walk blindly into a hazardous place. Do it for the innocent you children who often accompany those citizens, children who are particularly vulnerable to toxic substances. Do it for the diligent, hard-working postal employees, who deserve to work in a safe environment, instead of in a potential death trap.

And finally, do it because of this undeniable truth: A building can always be rebuilt, a post office can always be replaced, but a person’s health can never be restored, and a human life can never be replaced.

William A. Davis

Muscle Shoals


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.