This weekend’s games: 6 p.m. today, 6 p.m. Friday and 1 p.m. Saturday in Nashville
Lipscomb coach: Jeff Forehand (13th season)
Predicted ASUN preseason finish: 7th
Current record: 27-23 (11-10)
Key players: CF Maddux Houghton (.328, four HRs, four triples), DH Chris Bashlor (.302, 10 doubles, one triple, three HRs), 1B Cade Sorrells (.298, nine doubles, four HRs)
Possible Lipscomb starting pitchers: Chris Kachmar (8-3, 3.73 ERA), Noah Thompson (3-5, 5.43) and Joshua Colon (5-4, 3.57)
Things to know:
• This is the final weekend of the regular season. Three spots in the ASUN tournament are filled (by Florida Gulf Coast, Liberty and Jacksonville), so that leaves UNA and four other teams vying for one of the last three spots.
• UNA (7-13 in ASUN play) also will not catch North Florida and Lipscomb, each of which has 11 league wins. Next in line are Stetson (9-11) and Kennesaw State (9-12) and then the Lions. UNA’s season ends if it is swept this week or wins only once. Two or three wins could get UNA a spot depending on what else happens around the league.
• UNA fell just short of its second win this year against SEC competition. Kevin Brenning and Ben Kiefer both had clutch hits in the late innings, but the Lions eventually lost to Auburn 8-7 in 11 innings.
• Lipscomb has to this point outperformed its 7th-place preseason selection in the ASUN standings. Before last week’s series at Liberty, the Bisons had won its last three ASUN series.
• Lipscomb’s best non-conference win might be the 9-3 win March 16 over Ohio State, part of a three-game series in Columbus.
• Caleb Joseph, a catcher who attended Lipscomb, has played in nine games this season for the Arizona Diamondbacks after five years with the Baltimore Orioles. Don Blasingame, another Lipscomb product, played mostly second base from the mid-1950s to mid-1960s with the Cardinals, Giants, Reds, Senators and A’s. He was a career .258 hitter.